Almost Magic Near Disneyland
But not quite. The ACBL Board of Directors had a rather
quiet meeting in
1. Approved the 2011 budget, anticipating excess revenue of $ 140,000.
2. Tournament director session fees will be increased by 4% April 1, 2011 mainly to cover the salary increases provided:
New session rates:
National and Associate National T/D $174.10
Tournament Director 159.10
Associate Tournament Director 129.80
Local Tournament Director 103.70
3. Effective January 1, 2011 the expense reimbursement of the five ACBL delegates to the WBF will be assumed by the WBF. In exchange the ACBL will cover the lodging expenses annually for a 3-5 day WBF Management Committee meeting to be held in conjunction with one of our NABC events. This is expected to result in some cost saving to the ACBL.
4. School Bridge teachers receiving stipend from another source, will be entitled to receive a stipend from the ACBL (max $350.00) as long as the total compensation received does not exceed $500.00.
5. I was the only member who opposed the reappointment of our auditors.
6. The Board authorized management to restructure the per-diem being paid to T/Ds working in Canada. The goal was to establish the rate in Canadian dollar that resembles the Government of Canada rate, that is presently approximately 10% higher than what Canadian T/Ds currently receive.
To ease the transition process Jay Baum intends to introduce the new rates over a three year transition period.
2011 – 90% of the Canadian rate (that is presently $67.90)
2012 – 95%
2013 – 100%
II TOURNAMENTS and CLUBS
The following has been approved:
1. New NABC sights announced:
New Orleans March 12-22, 2015
Chicago August 6-16, 2015 ( will necessitate change of Can-Am dates )
Washington July 21-31, 2016
San Francisco November 22 – December 2, 2018
The hotel rates of US $ 160-170 deemed to be acceptable for these cities.
2. Approved that overall awards shall be established for invitational clubs as well, who participate in ACBL-wide games that have overall awards for open games.
3. Make the slow play regulations and their enforcement stricter. Interested parties may contact me for details.
4. Starting 2012 only ACBL may sponsor the highly profitable Regionals at Sea (RAS) not exceeding three per year.
No RAS can be conducted concurrently with any portion of a land-based Regional Tournament held either within 200 miles of or within the same District as such RAS port embarkation or debarkation unless written consent of the District Director(s) from the effected Districts is obtained.
5. Issued regulations effective immediately for Sectionals at Sea. The sanction fee will be $10.00/table.
6. The proposal to eliminate the use of “stop” cards, which actually “help” more the people who used them (rather than their opponents), have been deferred.
III ELECTION RESULTS
2011 ACBL President - Craig Robinson
Volunteer Member of the Year - Carl Sharp
Honorary Member of the Year - Larry Cohen
ACBL Treasurer - Bill Cook
Goodwill Committee Chair - Rose Meltzer ( to serve the un-expired term of the recently deceased Aileen Osofsky )
District 1 - First alternate Director: Nick L’Ecuyer
Second alternate Director: Leo Weniger
It was great to see
many, many players from District One at the Orlando
NABC. It was especially sweet to celebrate
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU ALL!!