Minutes of Annual Meeting
ACBL District 1

August 17, 2013

 

Present:

Peter Clark District President (pcreeve@rogers.com)  

Leo Weniger District Director (leowen@eastlink.ca)

Jean LaTraverse, District Treasurer (jlatraverse@videotron.ca)

Christine Bourbeau Unit 151 christine.bourbeau@videotron.ca

Louise Mascolo Unit151 louise.mascolo@sympatico.ca

Jean Castonguay Unit 151  castonguayjean@videotron.ca

Carol Hamilton  Unit 194  c_dhamilton@ns.sympatico.ca

Douglas Hamilton  Unit 194 dhami@ns.sympatico.ca

Mike Hartop Unit 230 mikehartop@rogers.com

Ann Hartop Unit 230  mikehartop@rogers.com

Raynald Belanger Unit 152  raynaldb@megaquebec.net

Michel Montplaisir  Unit 152  mplaisir_7@sympatico.ca

Heather Peckett  Secretary  bridgecat@rogers.com

George Retek (left early) Director Emeritus gbridgeretek@gmail.com

 

 

 

Action

1. Call to Order

The District President welcomed everyone to the meeting, and noted that a quorum of members was present.

Illness prevented George Retek from staying for the meeting, but before he left he wanted to thank Leo Weniger for his work on the ACBL Board of Directors.

 

 

2. Minutes

The Minutes of the 2012 AGM were reviewed.  It was moved by J. Castonguay and seconded by D. Hamilton that the Minutes be approved. Carried. 

 

3.  Business Arising from the Minutes

a.  Levy  from Units to support the 2020 Nationals

Representatives from the Maritimes Unit and the Quebec Unit were not at the meeting last year when the decision was taken to collect $2 per table based on the table count at their regional tournaments beginning July 1, 2012.  $70,000 has to be raised in order to host the Nationals. Units 151 and 192 have submitted their levies as requested. The Acadian Unit 230 and Quebec Unit 152 have not paid the amounts due to the District.

 

 Last year the meeting date was changed from Friday to Saturday and the authorized Quebec Representatives were not able to be present.  Although there was a person at the meeting from the Quebec Unit, that person was not an approved representative.

 

Jean LaTraverse noted that the levies each Unit was required to pay to ensure the District has sufficient working capital have been suspended, thus making an additional $1.50 ($.50 to $2.00)  increase per table to the Units.  Representatives from the Acadian Unit 230 and Quebec Unit said they did not have sufficient funds to pay this levy. Any revenue earned at their Regionals is used to cover their sectional tournaments which have been incurring losses.  Units were reminded that any Regionals held in their jurisdictions are authorized by the District. 

 

A decision was taken that the outstanding levies not be collected at this time from these two Units, due to their financial situation.

 

b.  District STAC

It was suggested that we consider having a District STAC through which any revenue earned by a Unit could be used to assist with payment of their levy for the 2020 Nationals.

No decision was taken on this suggestion.  

 

4. Treasurer's Report

J. LaTraverse provided the District Statement of Receipts and Expenditures for 2012 and the Balance Sheet as at December 31, 2012.  It was moved by J. LaTraverse and seconded by Louise Mascolo that the financial statements be adopted as presented.  Carried.

 

5. District Director’s Report

Leo Weniger gave his first report as District 1 Director.  He will be preparing a report at the end of each Nationals, and all reports (English and French) will be on the District website. 

Bill Cook will be completing the year as ACBL President, due to the resignation of Don Mamula

 

L. Weniger noted changes in the qualification requirements for both the NAP and GNT effective for the 2014-15 qualification year. Flight C Participants must be non life masters at the start of 2014.  The master point limit for B Flight participants has been raised from to 2500 points from 2000, and A Flight raised to 6,000 from 5,000.  The Conditions of Contest allow NAP and GNT District finals to be played on line.  District 1 has not worked out the logistics to do this at this time.

 

The ACBL initiated the start of Grass Roots Fund games in 2012 to be played in December each year. Monies raised will support promotion of and subsidies for the NAP and GNTs.  $1363 was remitted back to District 1 as a result of these games being played at clubs in our District.  It was moved by J. LaTraverse and seconded by M. Hartop that the subsidy be used to subsidize the C Flight of the NAP starting this year for one year.  Carried.

 

L. Weniger asked that Unit Presidents send names of members who might be suitable candidates to be appointed to the ACBL Goodwill and Charity committees.

 

The ACBL is working on a replacement for the existing ACBLSCORE program as well as a better way to schedule and track all tournaments.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Unit Presidents

6.  Doug Heron Award

Unit 230 was the recipient of the award this year as they had the biggest increase in membership of all Units in the District.

 

 

 

 

 

7.  Presentation of the George Retek Volunteer Award

Last year it was decided to create a District award entitled the “George Retek Volunteer Award” to recognize a person who has contributed greatly through their volunteer work.  This trophy was created in recognition of the 33 dedicated years of service George provided as District 1 Director. 

 

Peter Clark apologized for not progressing in the development of criteria for the recipient of the award.  He will get criteria used by other Districts that have similar awards.  The presentation to the 2013 recipient will be made at the Ottawa Regional.

 

P. Clark

8.  New Business

a. NAP

For 2014, the Eastern Area (Maritimes) will be entitled to receive the first place award.  The 2nd place award will be given to the Western Area (Quebec and Eastern Ontario). The ACBL pays $700 to each member of the pair entitled to receive the first place award and $300 to each member of the pair entitled to receive the second place award.  There are no card fees to participate in the National Finals.  The third place pair eligible to represent our District will come from the “Area” having the greatest participation in the event. The 3rd place pair may participate but will get no subsidy.  In the East, the A flight  will be held in Moncton on Saturday October 26th and the C flight on Sunday the 27th. 27th.  Halifax will host the B event Saturday November 2nd.  Montreal will host the Western events for A, B and C on Saturday October 26th at the Club de bridge de Mirage.  A minimum of 5 tables is required in our District for each event for the purpose of qualifying for the monetary awards (not for victory or master points). Club owners should send a list of qualifiers to M. Hartop at  mikehartop@rogers.com.  As L. Weniger noted, the District will not be accommodating online qualification at this time.  

 

b.  TAP in French

Kamel Fergani has been offering a number of very successful TAPs in French.  There is a waiting list for the one to be offered in September.  Unit 151 now has 42 accredited teachers.  If any Unit wants to organize a TAP in French, contact Kamal.

 

c. Scheduling and Club participation in STACs.

M. Hartop reiterated that all sanctions are to be sent to him once the Unit coordinator has sent the request to the ACBL.  Once M. Hartop receives notice that they have been received by the ACBL, he then gives approval (or not). Currently Henry Cukoff sends a letter directly to the club managers inviting them to participate in all the STACs.  It is the District Policy that if the Host Unit is willing to have other clubs participate, then the invitation is to be sent to other Units, rather than directly to the clubs in the District.  A letter will be sent to Henry directing him to send the invitation to the Units rather than the clubs.  D. Hamilton will write this letter.  A question was raised concerning a STAC scheduled for September 30-October 6, 2013.  Unit 199 has replaced its sectional tournaments with STACs. 

M. Hartop noted that Unit 192 has submitted an application for a sectional July3-6, 2014 which is the same time as the CANAT.  P. Clark will speak to the Tournament Coordinator in Unit 192 asking that the dates be changed.  The District has a policy that no sectional can be held at the same time as a District Regional.  P. Clark will also speak to the coordinator to ensure that Unit 192 only “hosts” 2 STACs each year.

d. Scoring Method for STACs

H. Cukoff has suggested that all the scoring be done in the same manner for all STACs.  Currently, the STACs hosted by Unit 151 are scored “across the field”.  Many people seem confused when they do not receive the master points that appear to have been earned at the club.  For other STACs, the scores received at the club are the ones that are entered for overall scoring. 

It was moved by H. Peckett and seconded by A. Hartop that the District have consistent scoring for all its STACs.  Carried.  P. Clark will ask H. Cukoff for a written recommendation with the rationale for which method is better, and which method is used most often in other Districts.

 

 

 

Club Owners

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

D. Hamilton

 

 

 

 

P. Clark

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

P. Clark

9. GNTs

The District Finals will take place at the Kingston Regional in May 2014. The Super Flight and the B flight will be held on Monday May 19th, and Flights A and C on Sunday May 18th. H. Peckett will ask Ed O’Reilly if he is willing to be the coordinator. Later: Ed O’Reilly agreed to look after the advertisement for these games.

 

H Peckett

10. District Charity Game

The John McAdam District-Wide Charity Game will be held on Monday November 11, 2013.  M. Hartop will notify the ACBL and the CBF to arrange sanctions. Carol Hamilton volunteered to look after getting information out to the clubs.

 

M. Hartop

11.  Election and Appointment of Officers

President                   Douglas Hamilton

Past President           Peter Clark

Director Emeritus      George Retek

Vice-President          Christine Bourbeau

Secretary                   Heather Peckett

Treasurer                   Jean LaTraverse

Charity                      Carol Hamilton

Discipline                  Peter Clark

Recorder                   Nick L’Ecuyer

Appeals                     Zygmunt Marcinski

Education and

     Membership         Kathie Macnab

GNT Coordinator     Ed O’Reilly

Special Events/Tournament

     Coordinator          Mike Hartop 

Website

     Coordinator          Bill Halliday

Website Content

    Coordinator           Bill Halliday

 

 

12.  Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned.  The 2014 AGM will be held in Montreal, early Saturday evening  August 16, 2014 during the CANAM.