Minutes of Annual Meeting
ACBL District 1

August 14, 2010

 

Present:

Peter Clark  District President  (pcreeve@rogers.com)  

Bill Halliday Vice President  (bhalliday@eastlink.ca)

Leo Weniger  Past President (leowen@eastlink.ca)

George Retek, District Director (bridgeretek@earthlink.net)

Heather Peckett, District Secretary (bridgecat@rogers.com)

Ann Hartop, Unit 230 ( mikehartop@rogers.com)

Mike Hartop, Unit 230 ( mikehartop@rogers.com)

Jean Castonguay, Unit 151 (castonguayjean@videotron.ca)

Alain Turcotte, Unit 152 (a.turcotte1@videotron.ca)

Jean LaTraverse, District Charity (jlatraverse@videotron.ca)

Martial Chagnon, Unit 151 (martialchagnon@hotmail.com)

Gilles St Hilaire, Unit 230 (volley@nbnet.nb.ca)

 

 

Action

1. Call to Order

The District President welcomed everyone to the meeting, and noted that a quorum of members was present.

 

 

 

2. Minutes

The Minutes of the 2009 meeting were reviewed.  Leo Weniger noted that he had not resigned as President, but rather he did not stand for reelection. Moved by Mike Hartop and seconded by Jean Castonguay that the Minutes be approved as amended. Carried. 

 

3. Treasurer's Report

Peter Clark provided the Treasurer’s report for 2009. Quebec, Ottawa and Montreal still owe their levies for 2009. Chicoutimi and Kingston owe for 2010.  The Treasurer will follow up with these Units. On the recommendation of P. Clark, it was Moved by M. Hartop and seconded by J. Castonguay that the District continue to collect these levies until the District has equity of $10,000. Carried. It was moved by Peter Clark and seconded by George Retek that the 2009 financial report be approved.  Carried. 

 

J.LaTraverse

4.   District Director's Report

George Retek noted that although his report is on the District and Unit 151 websites, he wanted to highlight a few important points. 

 

The ACBL Board members are upset with the Cruise ship operations in which the operators earned $140,000 recently.  District 9 received 1/3 of the profit even though only 20% of the participants were members of District 9.  Hopefully, in the future only the ACBL will sanction these tournaments at sea.

Currently there is a regulation that clubs within a 40 km radius of a regional or sectional tournament are not permitted to hold special games during the time of the tournament.  The ACBL says it cannot enforce this regulation with the result that at the next Board meeting, this regulation will likely disappear.

G. Retek noted that Regionals must be sanctioned 3 years ahead and Sectionals 1 yr in advance.  Otherwise Units could lose their chosen dates.

 

 

 

 

5. Education

The ACBL continues to have funding from the Gates/Buffet Foundation.  Unit interested in applying for funding to support the paying of teachers for a certain number of classes should apply. Each Unit should have its own educational program established, rather than relying on the District.

 

 

6. Website

It is up and running, but should be updated more regularly.  We need a content editor.  P. Clark will contact B. Halliday to see if he will be able to do this in addition to being the webmaster

P. Clark

7.  NAOP

For 2011, the Western Area will be entitled to receive the first place award.  The 2nd place award will be given to the Eastern (Maritimes) area.  The ACBL pays $700 to each member of the pair entitled to receive the first place award and $300 to each of the members of the pair entitled to receive the second place award.  There are no card fees to play in the National finals.  The third place pair eligible to represent our District will come from the “Area” having the greatest participation in the event. The 3rd place pair may participate but will get no subsidy.  In the East, the B final will be held in Moncton on October 30th. Halifax will host the A and C events on October 23rd.  Montreal (Gaetan Thibault’s Club) will host the Western events for A, B and C on November 6th.  A minimum of 5 tables is required in our District for each event for the purpose of qualifying for the monetary awards (not for victory or masterpoints). M. Hartop will send the Conditions of Contest to the webmaster in order that they be posted on the District Website.  G. Retek mentioned that ½ the field will qualify for the 2nd day of the National Finals for the B and C events.  The A event will still only qualify 14 tables regardless of the size of the field. A point of clarification was made, whereby any member can qualify in any District and play in his/her own District Final.

 

M.Hartop

8. GNTs

They will take place at the Quebec Regional in May 2011, the Super Flight and the B flight will be held on Monday and Flights A and C on Sunday.

 

9.  Doug Heron Award

Congratulations to Unit 194 for winning the award for largest increase (10%) in membership.  Unit 192 was 2nd with a 6% increase.  

 

10. District Charity Game

The District-Wide Charity Game will be held on Tuesday November 2, 2010.  The Charity this year will support Seniors activities.  Units should sent information on what activities they want supported to Gilles St Hilaire.

G. St Hilaire

11. Split Regionals

J. Castonguay stated that it would be unfair if Unit 192 benefitted from the addition of another split regional. Already Unit 192 has the equivalent of 1.5 regionals each year.  (Ottawa each year and Kingston every second year)  Montreal has only one and Quebec has one every other year.  The operator of the Kingston Regional would like to split a regional with the Maritimes.  Regionals are normally allocated to the District.  We are one of the few Districts which allows individual Units to run their Regionals.  A sub committee was formed to review the allocation of Regionals in our District to determine the feasibility that the District (instead of the Units) be financially responsible for and the beneficiary of the Regionals.  The sub committee consists of J. Castonguay, M. Hartop, P. Clark and G. Retek as an Ex-officio member.   

J. Castonguay,      P. Clark,

M. Hartop, G.Retek

12.  Sanctions

M. Hartop reported that the sanction process is working well.  Unit coordinators know the process well.  M. Hartop has not been attending the “Northeast Coordinating Committee”.  G. Retek noted that with a spirit of goodwill Districts 3, 24 and 25  gave permission for Montreal to host the 2011 CBF regional from March 28th to April 5, 2011 

The members confirmed the policy that no STAC be scheduled opposite a local Sectional. 

 

13.  Election and Appointment of Officers

President                Peter Clark

Past President        Leo Weniger

Vice-President       Bill Halliday

Secretary               Heather Peckett

Treasurer               Jean LaTraverse

Charity                  Gilles St Hilaire

Discipline              Martial Chagnon

Recorder                Nick L’Ecuyer

Appeals                  Zygmunt Marcinski

Education and

Membership         Kathie Macnab

GNT Coordinator Alain Turcotte

Special Events/Tournament

 Coordinator          Mike Hartop              

Website Coordinator  Bill Halliday

Website Content Coordinator   Bill Halliday (TBC)

 

14.  2011 Annual Meeting

In Montreal, the Saturday night of the CANAM.  If any urgent matters need to be discussed before then, a meeting be  held during the Quebec Regional.

 

15.  Meeting was adjourned

 

 

Leo Weniger