M C & G Bridge Studio 27-Mar-2016
TIP OF THE WEEK: “Never ignore a
LONG suit in dummy”. Before you begin the play of any contract, check
out dummy’s long suit to see whether it is usable – if there are enough
entries to dummy to set the suit up then use it to discard losers from your
hand. Just do it!
Bridge Studio News:
Come for the GAME / Come for the fun. Our 18th Anniversary celebrations
start NEXT week and the theme is - STAR
We will draw for Houses this week and they are: "The Droids", "The Millennium Falcon", "The Stormtroopers" and "The Jedi". For those less familiar with this process EVERYONE will be assigned a house and NEXT week we all compete for both Masterpoints and Spirit points. The Winning team will have a plaque in their honour
Pick your team and join the FUN!!! Star Wars Week information Attached.
WHAT IS HAPPENING AT THE BRIDGE STUDIO
- BRIDGE IN A DAY - This Saturday (April 2nd) 11:00 - 3:00. Tell your friends - it is FREE
- Club Championship Game TODAY (Easter Monday) 12:30
- Wednesday at 7:00 will be an OPEN Stratified Game. We were missing some players last week and hope they are back this week. Just $6.00 per player AND there is LUCKY SCORE
- THURSDAY 7:00 -- this game is limited to beginner and advanced beginner players (Under 750). Come and play, 24 boards, 3 hours. Well run, and lots of fun.
- TEAM GAMES - there are TWO team games for Anniversary Week - Wednesday NIGHT (7:00) is an "8 is enough" Club Championship Team game. Saturday (9th) is an OPEN Club Championship team game. Sign up sheet is at the Studio.
FOR THE STUDENTS OF THE GAME:
Know someone that might want to 'get in the game', but are too shy to come and play --- bring them on Saturday (April 2nd) for a FREE Introduction to the game of bridge -- the class is FREE - muffins and snacks available,, Get in the Game!
-- Lessons for beginner & intermediate will begin the week of April 4th - a full schedule will be available at the Bridge Studio.
THIS WEEK'S BRIDGE QUIZ:
Your right hand opponent opens the bidding with 1 Heart and you hold:
S - K Q J 9 8 3
H - 5
D - 8 4 2
C - J 10 7
What is your call?
SOLUTION TO LAST WEEK'S QUIZ:
West North East South
Pass pass 1H 4S
S – 8 4
H – K 8 6 5 4
D – J 5
C – A J 9 7
H – 3
S – K Q J 10 9 6 5
H – A Q
D – Q 10 9 8
C - -----
Eddie Kantar always has some hands that are good for thought. In this hand you must think, “what can go wrong and how can I prevent it". When you look at the lead you should think about it – clearly the H-3 is a singleton and it seems extremely likely that West holds the S-A. So how do you make the contract?
Since we know that the lead of the H-3 is a singleton, and therefore when East wins the S-A, they will be giving partner a ruff, we can prevent that from happening. On the heart lead, win the KING in Dummy, then play the C-A - discarding the useless H-A from hand. Now you can ruff high when East tries to give their partner a ruff.
RIVER CRUISE - This is NOT a Grand Slam Adventure Cruise, but Melanie has secured a "Group Rate" (we have a group of 11 to date). There is a $1,000.00 airfare rebate only until MARCH 31,2016. Prague to Budapest, along the Danube. May 16 - 26, 2017. Check it out and call Melanie (902-865-6995) or ask for more info from the Bridge Studio.
See you at the tables,
Kathie & Bill Halliday
The Bridge Studio
A TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE