M C & G Bridge Studio 8-Mar-2015
Tip of the Week:
I had an interesting auction from my opponents the other day. 1H- P 2H P 3H all pass. They missed a very good contract, because all their honour cards meshed together and the short suits each owned also worked. I could not help but think, if they only understood the concept of the Help Suit Game Try. After I open 1H and my partner bids 2H there are so many bids between 2H & 3H, I should take advantage - so #1 I want to invite game, but dont care so much about cards in two suits, but have a problem in a the 3rd suit I can bid the suit I need help in - now with partners medium minimum response - they can judge if they have HELP for me in that other suit. - - - Hence the now auction 1H P - 2H P 3D (or 3C or 2S) is asking partner to go to game with 7 HCP or more and help in the help suit bid. It makes bidding so much easier for the responder J
Kudos and Congratulations: CONGRATULATIONS to our TWO new DIAMOND Life Masters - Jim Kirby and Bill Halliday that is 5,000 masterpoints folks - Well done boys. Kudos to our little Sunday game that produced 19 teams and EVERYONE won masterpoints today. The game was flighted - A&B and C&D. A special mention to Mary Lynn, Candace, Linda, and Cynthia placing 1st in flight B their first game where their field was all life masters and up!! nicely done J
is happening this week at the Bridge Studio-
here are the SPECIAL EVENTS:
· Charity Club Championship Tuesday (10th) 12:30 0-500 no extra charge and EXTRA masterpoints.
· Charity Club Championship - Wednesday (11th) 9:30am no extra charge, extra masterpoints and $4.00 per table to the Walk for Memories Dont let the weather hold you back we have hot coffee and treats and a nice warm game!!
· Inter Club Championship Wednesday (11th) 7:00 this game has regular points at the club BUT if you finish in the ACBL overall, there are MEGA points available Cost is $6.00 per player - Wednesday Special
· Your Golden Tip on Thursday (12th) 6:40 this week we will Reverse the Dummy Open to all players with fewer than 750 masterpoints (truth be known the players playing here mostly have fewer than 350 masterpoints BUT the rest are welcome to come J) Game time 7:00.
· Up the Ranks - Team Game Sunday (15th) 12:30. Jill is back to hold her ever popular 0-1000 Team Game Charity Club Championship. Need a team? Need a partner? Contact Jill firstname.lastname@example.org
For the Students of the Game:
class Signals attitude, count and suit preference what is which
come on Wednesday at 1:00 and learn how to speak to your partner by the
cards you play. Class begins at 1:00 all are welcome - $12.00
Improve your defense, Improve your game!
in a DAY
One Day Workshop, Introduction to bridge. Here it is - Tell your
friends and family give our game a try. We have lots of registrations
and welcome a few more. This is a FREE Introduction to Bridge Saturday
March 14th 10:00 2:30.
This Weeks Bridge Quiz:
is in a contract of 4S. How do you plan to play the following:
A J 10
8 7 6 5 4
5 4 3
K Q 9 8 7 6
A K 2
Solution to Last Weeks Quiz:
open the bidding with 1 club, and partner responds 1NT. What is your next
S A K
H Q 9 5
D K 9 7
C A Q 8 7 5
2NT A raise to 2NT is an invitation to game showing about 18 or 19 points.
A hand that was too good to open 1NT. Do not raise with a motley 13 or 14
points - partner is weak. Also you do not want to leap to 3NT partner
could be VERY weak.
you at the tables,
& Bill Halliday
Questions? Comments Let me know email@example.com
A Tradition of Excellence
Mumford Professional Centre, Suite 160, Halifax, NS